Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Merdeka

I’ve been away a long time. Every Merdeka Day, I would make a big deal about it. When I was in University I would carry a flag in my backpack, and so people would ask me why, and then I could tell them all about Merdeka. I would have dinners and invite all my Malaysian friends, I would totally go the distance to make sure that I was celebrating Merdeka to the max, even though I was not home. I was always infused by this patriotic emotion that I wanted to share with everyone.

This year, I AM home, after years of struggling to get here.

And this year, I don’t feel much different on Merdeka day.

I couldn’t figure out why this was. Since I have been home, I’ve met amazing people, had great opportunities and experiences, all of which have only reaffirmed why I have come home. I thank god every day when I wake up to pink skies and the azan. I’ve started everything that I have put on pause for years now.

I realise I used Merdeka as a vehicle to harness all my sadness and my passion for coming home. I realise I don’t need that anymore. Right now, every day feels like Merdeka. Every day I get to celebrate what is Malaysian, talk about Malaysian issues, and exalt in being part of a Malaysian future. I’ve been liberated, when I never knew I was trapped.

I’m finally home, I want to be part of the change I know is happening, I want to be part of the solutions I can feel forming in the minds of the brilliant people around me, and I want to be part of the ideas that shape the future of this nation. This is going to be a great year.

Selamat hari Merdeka!

No comments: