Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Freedom From Fear

“ The only real freedom is freedom from fear”

Aung San Suu Kyii

I watched Low Wei Yans youtube video, and I liked what he had to say. But I do feel differently about one thing. I am afraid to walk on July 9th. At this stage, I am going, but not because I’m brave. I’m not. I don’t want to be tear-gassed, I don’t want to be manhandled, and I certainly don’t want to argue with police officers in my questionable BM. I spend my free time eating cupcakes at Bisou at Bangsar Village, I would do poorly in prison. There are probably cicak there and stuff.

I wondered when I watched this video, or when I read RPKs article, or read the countless articles/blogs on why this protest is important and almost, unavoidable for the progress of the country - What are the ethical implications in us encouraging people to attend these demonstrations/protests/walks? Is it not fact that the Malaysian police are a trigger-happy lot, that there has already been disclaimers made, and certain communities being targeted? There are plenty of human rights violations waiting to happen here.

I’m not suggesting that the bloggers, activists and people who are encouraging attendance are being inappropriate or irresponsible. I think it is an important cause and I want a good turnout as well. And in fairness, most people take a personal stance and explain why they are walking, rather than blatantly spreading glorified propaganda. This is a personal conflict I have which I have been thinking about, the more I read, the more I talk to my friends about whether to go, and the more I think about the risks involved.

I think I would feel somehow responsible for any injuries, or, god forbid, deaths that could result from this protest, if I encourage others to go. Although I share information regarding the event, I don’t think I will encourage or suggest others to attend this. It’s a decision to be taken seriously, and to be taken as an individual.

If you do decide to come, come with the knowledge that you could be arrested, tear gassed or water cannoned. You could be trampled and you could be abused. These risks are part and parcel of why this event is important. In principle we are walking because we want clean, free and fair elections.

But in my mind, we are also walking for the right to be heard, the right to not be afraid to take to the streets in peaceful protest. That is the Malaysia we are fighting for, and the Malaysia we believe can exist. We are fighting for our right to vote in elections that are fair, for the politicians who can make this happen. And if they don’t do it, the same right will allow us to replace them with those who will. And so on, and so on.

We are walking to say hear us, the rakyat are in charge. Walk if you believe in that , but with the knowledge that the fact that we have to walk for this cause at all means that the Malaysia we hope for is within our grasp, but unfortunately is not the Malaysia we live in yet.

No comments: