Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Proposal for a new DSM IV diagnosis

Disclaimer: I realize that this is a ridiculous notion, and I really don’t mean to insult anyone who have made the comments below. I also think that most of us are guilty of making such comments, and although I sound really self righteous in this, I know I’m guilty of this too. This just reflects my anger at some of these flippant comments. It’s a reminder to myself as well that most things happen as a result of consequence, likely caused by society itself.


Proposal for a new DSM IV diagnosis

For those of you who don’t know, the DSM IV is the Diagnostic and Statistic Manual, 4th edition. It is the book by the American Psychiatric Association, and it includes all psychiatric diagnoses and the criteria for these diagnoses.

In the past few months Ive heard many comments like “Homosexuality should be re-included in the DSM”, “the Australian government should not be sorry because they were well intentioned” (this person was referring to the Stolen Generation, and if you don’t know what this is then google or wiki it please), “sex workers deserve HIV/AIDs”. I’m sure everyone could add a few in they have heard, kan? Now this may because Ive left the comfort zone of my hippie, left wing, activist gang and have recently started work in a new place, but these words still came as a slap in the face.

Try to argue. You get called “sensitive, argumentative, idealistic”. Whatever people can think of, when they can’t think of logical arguments. I even had someone laugh in my face.

Anyway as I was walking back from hospital the other day, fuming as I had just heard someone recite the statistic that “8 out of 10 aboriginals – or I think the word native was used- in Australia, are either criminals, or drug/alcohol abusers”. After establishing that this was a statistic completely made up, perhaps from his myopic observations at Victoria Square in Adelaide, I started wondering.

Why do some people seem so narrow minded, and even if they are ignorant of the social problems that underlie some of these issues, why are they so unwilling to broaden their minds, listen and realise most problems are a result of marginalization of some sort.

Then I realized, I was doing the same thing. To these people who were making the comments. I wasn’t wondering WHY they said these things, I was just so angry that they did, and that they took nothing of logic into consideration. Then I tried to explore (in my head, anyway) the reasons that people are like this. Background, upbringing, exposure, education, all these things matter. Of course most of these people had similar background to me, but still there must have been some differences that affected the way we think

Im not saying im perfectly non-judgemental, and have a mind as open as a wicket behind an outlandishly confident batsman. We all have our moments, but the point is you try not to be. There is no point in being judgemental, it doesn’t solve any problem, and its such a headache trying to balance that halo on your head.

So back to my first paragraph – with the comment about homosexuality being reintroduced in to the DSM, I had an epiphany. Maybe narrow mindedness should be a psychiatric disorder, then I could possibly understand it better. The best thing about it would be that like all psychiatric disorders, it would become unfairly stigmatized!

Furcamentis (from the Latin Furca- Narrow, Mentis- Mind)

A. Presence of 2 or more of the following symptoms for more than 5 years continuously
- inability to accept alternative lifestyles, even though these are not affecting ones own life
- concrete thinking and fixed ideas although a logical and more humane explanation is available
- disordered argument process regarding controversial issues
- constant need to pipe up during an argument and profess opinions when no actual knowledge has previously been acquired

Note : Only one Criterion A symptom is required if the symptoms are racist or potentially exacerbating of the social problem underlying the argument

B. Social/Occupational dysfunction

For a significant amount of time, two or more people at work are offended or take issue with what is said. Interpersonal relations are strained as everyone thinks you are a bigot.

C. Duration

Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 5 years. This must be during adulthood, when seemingly free from peer pressure, and ability to think for oneself is present.

D. Substance/General Medical Condition exclusion

The disturbance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or a general medical condition

E. The symptoms are not better accounted for by another psychiatric condition or a pervasive developmental Disorder

The fact that the name I came up resembles a certain expletive, was a mere but pleasurable coincidence.

I strongly believe that, although perhaps statement of opinion different from mine, does not a psychiatric diagnosis make :), that certain mentalities are detrimental to existing problems related to drug abuse, HIV/AIDs, racism and similar social issues. But perhaps these ideas (that are perceived wrong by me, which I understand doesn’t make them wrong per se) need to be challenged in a open minded manner themselves. Otherwise, change of attitude towards these issues will never happen, and I believe we need this for change for the better within these complex social matters.

3 comments:

Julia De Boos said...

I suggest starting a facebook group detailing the symptoms and acting as a petition to get this listed in DSM IV!! I'll be in it!

Veena Pillai said...

15 comments Dina Zaman (Malaysia) wrote
at 8:17am yesterday
kambek and work with us :) you will be more pening!
Delete

Veena Pillai wrote
at 8:20am yesterday
will hopefully be doing so sooner than expected:)

I can see that from your notes!
Delete

Joel King wrote
at 3:30pm yesterday
I think it's a terrible idea. Why give narrow minded people a medical-style diagnosis to hide behind?
Delete

Saniyya Uppal wrote
at 3:52pm yesterday
1. Five years is too long
2. Completely agree with Joel
Delete

Veena Pillai wrote
at 4:20pm yesterday
Joel- SO i dont beat them up

:)
No you're right. It will be used as an excuse. This was more like an exercise to show how warped i think their thoughts are

Saniyya
Duration wasn't thought through at all :)
Delete

Kamariah Rahmah wrote
at 4:47pm yesterday
I think that a medical term that diagnoses (and labels) Narrow Mindedness is great...

"The best thing about it would be that like all psychiatric disorders, it would become unfairly stigmatized!" ... ! Hear! Hear!

Sometimes the best cure, is a little bit of humour :D
Delete

Raja Velloo wrote
at 7:23pm yesterday
Well Veena well done for bringing a cofee conversation to the internet... you do know that sometimes people say things with reasons.

Shall we stop acting that we are all noble with no racism in us.....fact is we are all racists.....its the extremist who worry me.... and i am not perfect. So fire me for being normal.

Very eloquently put i should say. A tip my dear, sometimes,please try to relax when you are having a table conversation.

Now now Veena, this is a 'rousing' arguement, so dont try to assasinate me at work tomorow...:p...cya at work girl.
Delete

Kamariah Rahmah wrote
at 7:29pm yesterday
Veena, I have a baseball bat. Would you like to borrow it for work tmrw?
Delete

Raja Velloo wrote
at 7:35pm yesterday
Oh come on kamariah...please pity me.....i am not such a bad guy.... really.
Delete

Woof Wong (Singapore) wrote
at 8:18pm yesterday
Who has angered my fellow Veena ?
Gets ready a parang , a nuclear bomb , a pair of eye ball pokers , 1 pint of IV KCl ...
Delete

Raja Velloo wrote
at 8:38pm yesterday
this is getting serious.....maybe i should take MC tomorow.... ehm Veena do u mind covering my patients tomorow?
Delete

Raja Velloo wrote
at 8:39pm yesterday
Wooof Wong....we have 7 friends in common.....how come i dont know u?... now that KCL is too much lah.....maybe IV Normal Saline??
Delete

Veena Pillai wrote
at 10:14pm yesterday
Haha thanks kamariah and "woof" :) May take you up on that offer

But its ok. I vented my anger in this piece.

Thanks for your tip, I will try and "relax" while im having a "table conversation" where people are left, right and centre, insulting me and the people I love.

Thats totally me.

Delete

Julia De Boos wrote
at 11:34pm yesterday
You go girl!!! Perhaps the people who insult so many of us should relax and lay off?
Delete

Meg Hill wrote
at 9:46am
Ah Veena, you are too late. I have already discovered this phenomenon myself several years ago. I have even named it...people suffering from this delusional system are called 'dumbfucks'.

xMeg.

Veena Pillai said...

Raja Velloo wrote
at 10:17pm on May 23rd, 2008
Oh yes this world is so full of self-righteous angels.....thats why its such a peaceful place where people dont suffer.....yeah right.

Be judgemental all you want. You are all reacting to the black and white view point of the long essay. Most of you were not around during this particular conversation. I think our friend Veenna completely misssed the point of the whole cofee conversation.

Veena i had no idea i insulted your loved ones.... ehmm which one?... there is no point pushing this further since none of you were there or even know me.
Nice to have so many angels like you guys around....
Delete

Sneha Parghi wrote
at 3:30pm on May 24th, 2008
Veen...I love this piece. Of all you've written so far I think it's one of my favourites.

Has been very interesting to follow the comments though...

Raja. I dont know you, and I'm not judging you, but from your comments it seems to me you are judging yourself...finding yourself guilty and as a response getting defensive and taking it out on other ppl. If I know Veena, this piece isn't about you, so don't make it about you.

Secondly, the world isn't full of angels, but would be a much better place to live in if people respected each others differences.

It's also clear you're being sarcastic about insulting her loved ones. Please take note, when you meet people, even if they come across at first glance as something (straight, traditional, ethnic, liberal) it might not be quite so clear-cut.

Anyway, as much as I'd love to lecture you (and others) I'm not your mother, which is probably better for both of us.
Delete

Matt Sellen (Adelaide) wrote
at 11:56pm on May 24th, 2008
DSM V is being worked on now! Just slip this to one of the panel members. :)
Delete