Wednesday, March 5, 2008

About Me....and this blog

You know, Ive been wanting to write in my blog for MONTHS now. And I have so many things to say, hence creating a blog in the first place. Finally, I decided, hey its one week before elections. My emotions are riding as high as they are ever going to be in terms of Malaysia. Its now or never.

So here I am. How does this work- Ive learnt the beauty of the Blog is that its like a piece of art. I made it, and I can call it good if I damn well please. Now that’s fun.

I am 26, Malaysian, a doctor (extremely junior) have just returned from 9 years in Australia. I struggle with my identity, only because people constantly argue it. When Im in Australia- “what?! you’re Malaysian, but you don’t look Chinese, you look Indian” Which is the oddest thing ive heard, but Ive heard it time and time again. When Im in Malaysia- its more, “Why you think you so action, ah” because I have a god awful aust/uk/odd accent that makes people sound like im putting it on. And then people imply that I am westernized because of it, so go back where I belong lah.

These things used to bother me, but Ive recently realized I am Malaysian, whether I like it or not, and whether you like it or not

A caesura is a pause in a work of art. Whether it is a poem, song, movie. I feel like am in the midst of a piece of art- that is that I am surrounded by inspiring people like my family, friends, activists like Farish Noor and Arundhati Roy, heroes and legends like Aung San Suu Kyii, Nelson Mandela, Gandhi. Its exciting, thrilling, exhilarating. Its overwhelming. To fully absorb it all, I need to stop and think. This is what this is – this is me, pausing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Never believe that a few caring people cannot change the world.
For, indeed, they are the only ones who ever have.